Blue Devils Suffer a Tough Loss After Comeback Effort at FDU
The Central Connecticut women's basketball team battled with FDU but was unable to mount the comeback victory in Hackensack New Jersey Thursday night.
The Central Connecticut women's basketball team was down by 12 points with less than four minutes to play and battled back to send the game to overtime. They were unable to mount the comeback and suffered an 80-75 loss Thursday night in Hackensack New Jersey.
Score: CCSU 75, FDU 80
Records: CCSU (4-15) (2-4) NEC, FDU (6-13) (4-2) NEC
Location: Bogota Savings Bank Center | Hackensack, NJ
- Both teams remained scoreless until the 8:45 mark of the first quarter.
- Abby Conklin nailed a three-pointer for FDU while Central answered with a layup by Sentance to begin the game.
- Alonna Sellers checked into the game and hit a mid-range jumper to knot things up at 8-8 midway through the first quarter (4:31).
- With 0:09 seconds left on the game clock, Belle Lanpher hit her first three to give Central a 15-12 lead entering the second quarter.
- The Blue Devils led 31-28 midway through the third quarter when Ciera Pearson scored a layup with 5:08 left in the third.
- FDU baskets from Lily Parke and Bella Toomey ignited a 12-2 run for the Knights to end the third frame leading 40-33.
- The lights took a 48-39 lead when Lily Parke made a three-pointer with 6:18 left in the 4th.
- Central Connecticut cut the Knights lead to six with 2:37 left to play. Samora Watson was called for a charge that would have been a bucket with 1:43 left to play.
- Watson scored her 24th point of the contest to cut the deficit to 58-53 with 0:42 seconds left to play.
- Belle Lanpher banged a deep triple with 0:28 seconds left to keep Central alive down 59-56.
- Lanpher continues her heroics with a three-pointer plus the foul to cut the deficit to one (61-60) with 0:05 seconds left.
- After FDU made two free throws Samora Watson dribbled up the court and nailed a three-pointer to send CCSU to overtime.
- Central was without Belle Lanpher in OT after she committed her last foul in regulation.
- In overtime, Central was unable to come back after Lily Parke hit two three-pointers early in the period.
NUMBERS TO KNOW
5 - Samora Watson's 35 points was her 5th game with 20 or more points this season and her second with 30 or more.
4 - Belle Lanpher knocked down a season-high 4 threes in Thursday night's game.
- The Blue Devils and Knights are now tied 17-17 in their series history and FDU extended their win streak to six.
- The Blue Devils drop to 2-4 in the NEC and have two more stops on this three-game road trip before they are back in New Britain on February 3rd vs Merrimack.
- Samora Watson led the Blue Devils with 35 points and 8 rebounds. She was 13-for-30 from the floor in 41 minutes for her team.
- Belle Lanpher had 20 points on 7-of-12 shooting and made three out of four three-point attempts.
- The Blue Devils shot 84.2% (16-19) from the FT line and were 27-66 from FG range.
Central Connecticut travels to Staten Island for game two of their three-game road trip. Tip-off is set for 4:00 on Saturday, January 27th.