CCSU Falls to Fairfield Sunday Afternoon
The Central Connecticut women's basketball team was unable to hold off Fairfield as the Stags captured a win at the Detrick gym on Sunday afternoon.
Score: CCSU 78, Fairfield 52
Records: CCSU (1-5), Fairfield l (4-1)
Location: Detrick Gymnasium | New Britain, CT
- Fairfield started the game with an 11-4 run led by 6-foot freshman Meghan Anderson.
- The Blue Devils cut the lead to five after two baskets from Emma Bruen and Samora Watson with 4:50 left in the first half.
- An 8-0 Stags run gave Fairfield a 27-15 lead with 2:04 left to play in the first half. The Blue Devils were scoreless for the remainder of the second quarter as they trailed Fairfield 28-15 after the first half.
- Belle Lanpher hit a three-pointer that brought Central within seven (31 - 24) at the 7:55 mark in the third quarter. Fairfield outscored the Blue Devils by ten after the eight-minute mark and sank three three-pointers in the third quarter to take a 57-40 going into the fourth.
- Fairfield would outscore the Blue Devils 21-12 in the fourth quarter. Fairfield freshman Meghan Anderson scored 11 of her 22 points in the last 10-minute frame to seal the 78-52 victory for the Stags.
NUMBERS TO KNOW
- 17 - Belle Lanpher scored seventeen third-quarter points which is the most the senior captain has scored in a quarter in her Blue Devil career.
- 5 - CCSU held the Stags to five three-pointers for a team that came in second in the country in average three-pointers per game (12.2).
- Belle Lanpher led all scorers with 24 points on 9-of-17 shooting and added four assists.
- Meghan Kenefick tallied nine points and five rebounds for Central. Samora Watson also had five rebounds for the Blue Devils.
- This marked the first contest between CCSU and Fairfield since 1999. The Stags extended their win streak to two with the victory Sunday afternoon.
UP NEXT ...
The Blue Devils continue their gauntlet of non-conference games. They will travel to Illinois for a 7:00 PM Wednesday night matchup at The State Farm Center on November 29th.