Women's Basketball Falls To Saint Peters
The Central Connecticut women's basketball team fell 61-57 to Saint Peter's Monday evening at the Yanitelli Recreational Life Center in Jersey City New Jersey.
Samora Watson led all scores in the close defeat to Saint Peter's Monday night in Jersey City.
FINAL SCORE: Saint Peter's 61, CCSU 57
RECORDS: CCSU 0-3; Saint Peter's 1-1
LOCATION: The Victor R. Yanitelli, S.J Recreational Life Center | Jersey City, NJ
- Saint Peters Reilly Sunday scored off the opening tip which was followed by an 8-0 run by the Peacocks to start the game.
- The Blue Devils answered with their own 7-0 run led by Sophmore transfer Alonna Sellers bringing her team within one with 4:35 left in the first quarter.
- The Peacocks then answered with a 9-1 run including three baskets and a banked three from Fatmata Janneh to help her team lead 17-8 at the end of the first quarter.
- Fatmata Janneh attacked the rim for Saint Peters and scored to give the Peacocks their biggest lead of the game (22-8) with 7:16 left to play.
- Amaya Williams drew a foul at the 6:37 mark and converted one out of two at the free-throw line to stop the 8-0 run. Belle Lanpher converted her first basket on a mid-range jumper off a nice feed from teammate Samora Watson and an Emma Bruen jumper made it a 10-point game (24-14) at the 4:07 mark.
- CCSU and Saint Peters ended the half-trading basketball and the Peacocks headed to the locker room with a 31-19 lead.
- Meghan Kenefick, Watson, and Lanpher all scored to start the half on a 7-2 run at the 7:45 mark in the third quarter (33-26).
- The Peacocks Fatmata Janne scored again to cap a short 6-2 run for Saint Peters as they climbed to a 39-28 lead with 5:21 left in the 3rd.
- Lanpher answered with a crossover layup to score her tenth point of the game with 4:33 left and ignited a central 15-2 run to end the first quarter trailing Saint Peters 43-41.
- Watson led the 15-2 run with two baskets including a three-pointer, capped off by a jumper from Lanpher and a layup from junior Amaya Williams.
- Peacocks forward Fatmata Janneh and Centrals Meghan Kenefick came out of the fourth quarter trading baskets each with two layups to bring the game to 49-45 with 5:18 left to play.
- The Blue Devils were trailing 53-45 with 4:43 left to play after four straight points by Saint Peters guard Jada Williams.
- Amaya Williams made three out of four free throws, followed by two tough baskets from Samora Watson, and a steal and two made free throws from Belle Lanpher capped a 9-2 CCSU run. This made it 55-54 with 1:05 left to go in the game.
- CCSU was forced to foul Saint Peter's and made their free throws to close out the game earning the 61-57 victory.
NUMBERS TO KNOW
- 26 – Number of turnovers the Blue Devils forced Monday night
- Watson scored in double figures for the third time this season, finishing with a career-high 18 points to lead all scores.
- Belle Lanpher scored a season-high 14 points and her third straight game in double figures and added four steals on the night.
- Amaya Williams finished with a season-high 11 points, six boards, and three assists.
- Kenefick finished with six points, to go along with a team-high nine rebounds.
- The Blue Devils were 13-16 from the free-throw line shooting a season-high 81.3% on the night. 3-4 from behind the arc in the first quarter and 5-7 in the first half
- CCSU forced 26 turnovers scoring 24 of their 57 points off turnovers.
- Alonna Sellers scored six points in 21 minutes collecting four rebounds and a block. The Blue Devils tallied double-digit (10) assists in the game for the third straight game.
The Blue Devils cap off their season-opening road trip, traveling to Bryant on Friday, Nov 17, 6:00 PM EST.