Women's Basketball Dominates at Home vs St. Francis
The Central Connecticut women's basketball team defeated The St. Francis Red Flash, 61-37, at The Detrick Gym on Saturday afternoon.
Central Connecticut had three players score in double digits in their 61-37 victory at home vs St. Francis Saturday afternoon.
Score: CCSU 61, St. Francis PA 37
Records: CCSU (4-11) (2-0) NEC, St. Francis PA (2-14) (1-2) NEC
Location: Detrick Gym | New Britain, CT
- The Blue Devils and Red Flash were scoreless through seven minutes of play until Ally Sentance went coast to coast for the first points of the contest at the 7:29 mark.
- Belle Lanpher converted an and-one with 4:01 left in the first that gave Central an early 9-3 lead.
- A late first-quarter burst from Central Connecticut included baskets from Belle Lanpher and Cierra Pearson with 0:25 left that gave Central a 15-5 lead to end the first quarter.
- The Blue Devils opened the second quarter with a jumper from Meghan Kenefick to give Central a 17-5 lead at the 8:35 mark.
- St. Francis broke a five-minute scoring drought with a basket followed by a three-pointer from Destini Ward to cut the Blue Devil lead to 17-10 at the 6:26 mark in the second quarter.
- Central Connecticut extended their lead to 29-14 with two old-fashioned three-pointers from Alonna Sellers and Samora Watson with 1:39 left to go in the first half.
- St. Francis PA came out in the third quarter with two straight baskets to cut Central's lead to nine (29-20) with 8:52 left in the third.
- Alonna Sellers scored five straight points including her second and one of the contest that gave Central a 36-22 lead with 7:29 left in the third stanza.
- Belle Lanpher knocked down Central's first triple of the game at the 3:57 mark in the third to give them their biggest (41-22) lead of the game.
NUMBERS TO KNOW
2 - The Blue Devils are 2-0 in conference play for the first time since the 2016-17 season when they made it to the Conference Semi-finals.
24 - 24 points is the largest margin of victory in a conference game by Central Connecticut since 3/25/17 vs St. Francis Brooklyn.
- St. Francis still leads the all-time series, 28-16, and The Blue Devils start a one-game win streak vs the Red Flash.
- Belle Lanpher led all scorers with 17 points. She added three steals, an assist, and four rebounds.
- The Blue Devils held The Red Flash to 16.7% shooting from the field while CCSU shot 53.8% from the floor in the first quarter.
- Central put together a 24-point third quarter to take their largest lead of the game (53-28).
The Blue Devils will play their next conference game at Merrimack on Jan 15th at 3:00 PM.