CCSU Women's Basketball Falls to New Hampshire
The Central Connecticut women's basketball team were outscored 23-3 in the second quarter and were unable to mount the comeback needed to take home a victory Saturday afternoon.
Samora Watson had a career game and ended the contest with 38 points. Central Connecticut outscored the Wildcats in the second half, but were unable to mount a comeback and were defeated 79-64 on Saturday afternoon.
FINAL SCORE: New Hampshire 79, CCSU 64
RECORDS: CCSU 1-7; New Hampshire 4-5
LOCATION: Ludholm Gym | Durham, NH
- Central Connecticut was scoreless for almost six minutes before their first basket and trailed New Hampshire 7-0 early in the first.
- Sophomore East Carolina transfer Samora Watson checked into the game and knocked down a three-pointer with 5:48 left in the first to start what would be a career night. Watson scored twelve in the quarter on a perfect 5-of-5 shooting to help CCSU crawl back and trail 17-16 after one.
- The Wildcats came out in the second quarter on an 8-2 run capped by an Avery O'Connor triple with 6:51 left in the second.
- The Blue Devils' loan field goal was with 7:45 left in the second quarter by Amaya Williams. The Wildcats shot 53.3% from the floor and took a 21-point lead into the locker room (40-19).
- CCSU came out of the locker room with some energy and forced a turnover that turned into a Belle Lanpher three-pointer to cut the deficit to 40-25 with 8:53 left in the third.
- Samora Watson cashed in her 16th point of the game on a pull-up jumper with 7:11 left in the third quarter bringing the score to 46-31.
- Belle Lanpher slashed to the hoop and scored her ninth third-quarter point that made the score 50-35 with 4:41 left to go in the third.
- Lanpher led the way with thirteen third-quarter points shot 50% from the field and shot five of six from the free-throw line.
- CCSU outscored New Hampshire 23-18 in the third quarter and trailed 58-42 with one quarter left to play.
- Samora Watson was on fire in the fourth quarter and dropped 22 points on 8-of-8 shooting and was 5-for-6 from the stripe.
- The Blue Devils outscored New Hampshire in the second half but were unable to recover from the early 26-3 run and the Wildcats were able to come away with the 79-64 win.
NUMBERS TO KNOW
38 - This is the fourth most points scored by a Blue Devil in a single game since CCSU legend Hope Linthicum had three separate 42, 41, and 39-point games in 86'-87.
- With the victory, New Hampshire nudges the series to 8-6 all-time favoring the Blue Devils.
- Samora Watson led all scorers with 38 points for the Blue Devils and was 15-for-23 from the field, 3-for-5 from beyond the arch, and 5-for-6 from the FT line. She also added a team-high five rebounds and two assists.
- Belle Lanpher scored all of her 13 points in the third quarter and added four steals to add to her to a team-best 20 steals on the season.
- CCSU had their season-best 10 steals in this afternoon's game and forced the Wildcats to turn the ball over fourteen times.
The Blue Devils are back at home for free ice scraper and faculty appreciation day on Wednesday, Dec. 6th 7 PM vs Albany.