The Central Connecticut volleyball team downed Merrimack in straight sets in Northeast Conference action at New Britain, CT. The Blue Devils limited Merrimack to a .069 hitting percentage and totaled 8.0 blocks in the win.
CCSU hosts Bryant on Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.
Score: CCSU 3, Merrimack 0 (25-13, 25-20, 25-18)
Records: CCSU (10-8, 4-3 NEC), MC (4-14, 2-5 NEC)
Location: Detrick Gymnasium | New Britain, CT
- The first set was tied at 7-7, but CCSU would score consecutive points to go ahead for good. Rachel Picha would serve six straight points as part of a run of seven points to put CCSU ahead 16-8. Central scored the final four points of the set, with Lauren Milani convertiving consecutive kills to close it out.
- Nyjha Marcelin opened the second set with one of her four kills and the Blue Devils would lead for much of the frame. Isabelle Roufs would record a pair of aces in a run of four points to put CCSU ahead 15-9. Merrimack would close within, 15-14, but the Blue Devils would not give up the lead and closed it out with with three straight points.
- Central would be unable to separate from Merrimack in the third set and called timeout after the Warriors scored four straight. Merrimack would build a 15-14 lead before CCSU responded with four straight points to go ahead. A block by Nyjha Marcelin and Isabella Bratzke followed by a Bratzke kill closed out the match.
"Sweeping both matches this weekend was really good for the confidence of the team and flow of the game," said head coach Linda Sagnelli. "Closing out both matches this weekend, 3-0, should give us confidence because we have the ability to do that. We want to be able to stay aggressive on offense and close out. I'm proud of the team for being able to do that."
NUMBER TO KNOW
6 - Central won both matches this weekend in straight sets, going 6-0.
- CCSU is 7-0 against Merrimack.
- Lauren Milani had a team-high 12 kills, to go with nine digs. She added two aces.
- Natalie Novak and Tori Boulay each had 21 assists.
- Isabelle Roufs had six kills (.385 hitting percentage), two aces and three blocks.
- Isabella Bratzke had five kills and three blocks.
CCSU is back in action on Tuesday against Bryant at 7:00 p.m. Links to live stats and video to follow the matches are available HERE.