The Central Connecticut volleyball team fell to FDU in five sets on Saturday in Northeast Conference action in New Britain, CT. The Blue Devils honored their senior class of Natalie Novak and Stela Velanova prior to the match.
The match concluded the Blue Devils' 2022 season.
Score: CCSU 2, FDU 3 (25-16, 23-25, 28-26, 15-25, 15-11)
Records: CCSU (12-14, 6-8 NEC), FDU (15-15, 9-5 NEC)
Location: Detrick Gymnasium | New Britain, CT
- A block by Lauren Milani and Isabella Bratzke had CCSU within 5-4 in the opening set before FDU scored six straight points to go ahead 11-4. The Blue Devils were unable to get closer than six points before FDU scored an ace to close the first set.
- Central would bounce back in the second set after ralling from an 11-7 deficit. After a timeout, CCSU would score five straight points and go ahead 12-11 after an ace by Tori Boulay. The teams would go back-and-forth before CCSU eddged ahead 22-20 following a kill by Bratzke. An FDU timeout stemmed the momentum temporarily until Bratzke and Nyjha Marcelin had back-to-back kills to even the match.
- CCSU opened the third frame with a kill from Weronika Poczynek, but that was the last lead the Blue Devils had. FDU led by as much as 14-10 midway through the set, but CCSU would manage to draw even at 19-19 following a kill by Poczynek. The teams alternated scoring before FDU managed to get a kill and an ace to close out the set.
- In the fourth set, the score was tied 8-8 until Central rolled off six straight points to go ahead 14-8 after an ace by Milani. The Blue Devils did not allow the set to get any closer, and consecutive aces by Bratzke closed out the frame to force a fifth set.
- A block by Poczynek and Bratzke would cap a fast start in the fifth set to put CCSU up 5-1 and force a FDU timeout. The Knights came back with four straight points to tie the score, but Central would come back with a run of three straight and lead 9-6 after a kill by Marcelin. The Knights would use a streak of four points to build a 12-10 lead and did not trail again enroute to taking the match.
NUMBER TO KNOW
7 - The Blue Devils had seven service aces, matching a season-best mark in conference play.
- FDU swept the season series and has won three straight in the series. CCSU had won 12 straight before the three most recent matchups.
- Poczynek had a match-high 19 kills and added 13 digs and three blocks.
- Milani had a double-double with 13 kills and 12 digs. She added two aces.
- Novak posted a double-double with 29 assists and 10 digs.
- Bratzke had eight blocks, nine digs and five kills to go with two aces.
- Rachel Picha, who had 17 digs, had two aces also.