The Central Connecticut volleyball team swept Stonehill on Friday in Northeast Conference action at New Britain, CT. The Blue Devils hit .330 as a team, while holding limiting the Skyhawks to a .100 hitting percentage.
CCSU is back home on Friday against Stonehill at 5:00 p.m.
Score: CCSU 3, Stonehill 0 (25-17, 25-21, 25-12)
Records: CCSU (9-8, 3-3 NEC), STO (1-19, 0-6 NEC)
Location: Detrick Gymnasium | New Britain, CT
- The first set was even at 4-4 before the Blue Devils scored three straight points to take the lead for good. CCSU would force a timeout by Stonehill after taking a 11-6 lead on a block by Isabelle Roufs. The set would be at 17-12, but was never closer and Central scored three straight points to close out the set on a kill by Isabella Bratzke.
- CCSU would race out to a 5-1 lead in the second set after Lauren Milani collected one of her seven kills in the frame. Central never trailed, but the Skyhawks would rattle off three straight points to get within 23-21. The Blue Devils closed the set with a kill by Milani and an ace from Bratzke.
- In the third set, CCSU led throughout. Central led 6-5 before scoring seven points in a row to take control. The set was not closer than seven points the rest of the frame.
"We have been working on closing out [matches]," said head coach Linda Sagnelli. "I'm really happy with the scores of tonight's sets, especially the third because we didn't lose our focus, and I think we actually gained a little more momentum. It really helped to close out the match and win in three [sets]."
NUMBER TO KNOW
13 - Central had just 13 attack errors as a team, a season-low in NEC play and the fewest since totaling just eight in a win over Manhattan on September 7.
- The teams were meeting for the first time at the Division I level.
- Milani had a match-high 17 kills and nine digs. She hit .640 in the match, committing just one error on 25 attempts.
- Natalie Novak had 19 assists and Tori Boulay added 17 assists.
- Rachel Picha had an ace and six digs, while not having a reception error in eight tries.
- Roufs had two solo blocks as the Blue Devils had six blocks as a team.
CCSU is back in action on Saturday against Merrimack at 4:00 p.m. Links to live stats and video to follow the matches are available HERE.