The Central Connecticut volleyball team closed its opening weekend at the Iona Gaels Volleyball Tournament on Saturday in New Rochelle, NY. The Blue Devils fell to the host Gaels in three sets.
Score: Iona 3, CCSU 0 (25-13, 25-15, 25-21)
Records: CCSU (1-2), Iona (3-0)
Location: Iona Gaels Volleyball Tournament (Hynes Athletics Center | New Rochelle, NY)
- Iona took control in the first set, building an 18-9 lead before forcing a Blue Devils timeout. Central would come back with consecutive points, but the Gaels would score three straight to set up set point before closing the frame.
- Iona led throughout the second set closed the frame with a 6-1 run to take a 2-0 lead in the match.
- After falling behind 5-1 in the third set, CCSU eventually managed to come back and tie the set at 14-14 after a kill by Isabella Bratzke. Iona broke the deadlock with a run of five unanswered points to take control of the set enroute to winning the match.
NUMBER TO KNOW
10.0 - The Blue Devils' defense had 10.0 blocks at the net, the second match of the weekend with double-digit total team blocks.
- Rachel Picha was named to the All-Tournament Team. She had 14 digs in the match and averaged 5.8 digs/set on the weekend, while having just three reception errors.
- Bratzke had eight kills and 10 digs for Central. Nyjha Marcelin tied for the team-lead with eight kills.
- Isabelle Roufs had eight blocks in the game, a season-high.
Central hosts its tournament next weekend and will face Binghamton at 4:00 p.m. on Friday. Links to live stats and video to follow the matches are available HERE.