Central Connecticut volleyball opened play at the CCSU Invitational on Friday, falling to Binghamton in three sets. The Blue Devils would hold a lead in each set before the Bearcats rallied in each frame.
Score: Binghamton 3, CCSU 0 (25-21, 25-22, 25-23)
Records: CCSU (1-3), Binghamton (3-1)
Location: CCSU Invitational (Detrick Gymnasium | New Britain, CT)
- The first set was knotted at 6-6 before Binghamton outscored CCSU, 6-1, to build a 12-7 lead. Central would trim the defict to two points, but the Bearcats would maintain the lead and close it out on a CCSU attack error.
- CCSU would open the second set by taking a 6-1 lead, powered by a pair of aces and a kill from Isabella Bratzke. Binghamton would draw level at 10-10 before going ahead for good with three straight points to make it 14-11. Central would draw within a point three times, but BU closed it out with back-to-back kills to take the second frame.
- Central would again get off to a strong start in the third set and would go ahead, 15-9, following four straight points, which included a pair of service aces by Rachel Picha. The Bearcats would take a timeout after falling behind, 20-15, and responded by outscoring CCSU, 10-3, to close out the match. The Bearcats closed with five unanswered points.
NUMBER TO KNOW
6 - The Blue Devils recorded six service aces in the match. CCSU is averaging 6.3 service aces per match on the season.
- Isabella Bratzke had 16 kills and hit .351 to lead the Blue Devils. She added 14 digs for her second double-double of the year. Bratzke also had four aces.
- Tori Boulay had 18 assists, while Natalie Novak added 15.
- Lauren Milani added a season-high nine kills.
Central will play Saint Peter's at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday and then Columbia at 6:30 p.m. Links to live stats and video to follow the matches are available HERE.