The Central Connecticut volleyball team dropped a Northeast Conference match, 3-2, at Saint Francis U on Friday night in Loretto, PA. The Blue Devils took the first two sets before the Red Flash rallied to take the final three sets and win the match.
Central is back in action on Saturday when it faces FDU at 4:00 p.m.
Score: Saint Francis U 3, CCSU 2 (22-25, 12-25, 25-21, 25-17, 15-12)
Records: CCSU (8-7, 2-2 NEC), SFU (5-12, 3-1 NEC)
Location: DeGol Arena | Loretto, PA
- CCSU and SFU would each trade three-point advantages in the opening set. Weronika Poczynek would break a 19-19 tie with a kill that gave Central a lead it would not surrender en route to taking a 1-0 lead in the match.
- A kill by Nyjha Marcelin put Central ahead 14-7 in the second set as part of five straight points. Marcelin hit 1.000 in the set with five kills as the Blue Devils comfortably took the set.
- The Blue Devils appeared set to take the match after a run of six points capped off by an ace from Rachel Picha made it 12-5. The Red Flash would use a string of six straight points to go ahead 16-15 and they did not trail again in the set, extending the match.
- Saint Francis led wire-to-wire in the fourth set, with CCSU only tying the set at 6-all following a block by Isabelle Roufs.
- In the decisive set, Central would go ahead 8-6 after a kill by Mia Lombardo was followed by a pair of SFU errors. The Red Flash would take advantage of two CCSU errors to go ahead 11-10 and would not allow the Blue Devils to regain the lead.
NUMBER TO KNOW
.464 - Nyjha Marcelin posted her third match of the season with 10+ kills and a hitting percentage of over .450
- The Blue Devils have dropped back-to-back matches against Saint Francis U since running off 10 straight wins in the series.
- Nyjha Marcelin had a team-high 16 kills for the Blue Devils. She added four blocks and two digs.
- Mia Lombardo and Weronika Poczynek each added 10 kills.
- Rachel Picha had a team-high 22 digs. She has 20+ digs in four straight matches and five times this season.
- Tori Boulay had 26 assists and has four straight matches of 25+.
- The Blue Devils totaled 13 blocks in the match, their second-highest total of the season. Roufs had eight blocks to lead the defense.
CCSU faces FDU on Saturday at 4:00 p.m. Links to live stats and video to follow the matches are available HERE.