Horgan Scores Two as CCSU Shuts Out Merrimack 3-0
The Central Connecticut women's soccer team defeated Merrimack 3-0 Thursday to snap a six-game winning streak for the Warriors and secure a spot in the NEC tournament.
GAME INFORMATION | BOXSCORE
Score: CCSU 3, Merrimack 0
Records: CCSU 8-4-2 (6-0-1 NEC); Merrimack 7-4-2 (5-1-0 NEC)
Location: North Andover, MA | Martone-Mejail Field
- The Blue Devils gained an early 1-0 advantage in the 35th minute. Aoife Horgan sent a shot toward the goal from the right side of the pitch and the ball deflected towards Daniela de Souza, who quickly kicked it between the keeper's legs, securing her 3rd goal of the season.
- With just 6 minutes left to play, freshman Melina Ford came up clutch with a crucial save and denied Isabella Keongh of Merrimack's shot.
- Shortly after the key save, Aoife Horgan broke away from the Warrior defense and found a clear lane to the goal, which allowed her to score and gave the Blue Devils a 2-0 lead in the 83rd minute.
- With just 5 minutes remaining, Aoife Horgan sealed the game with her second goal, thanks to a selfless assist from teammate Giavanna Inzerillo.
Numbers to Know:
367 - October 10, 2021, (367 days) was the last time the women's soccer team lost in regular season play in the Northeast Conference.
18 - The Blue Devils controlled the match and outshot the Warriors 18 to 4 shots on goal.
7 - Aoife Horgan had a season-high 7 shots on goal and cashed in for two for her first multi-goal game of the season.
- Exactly one year ago, in a similar showdown, the Blue Devils triumphed over Merrimack with a 3-0 victory. Aoife Horgan's two goals secured a postseason spot and boosted their record to 6-0 in the Northeast Conference.
- The Blue Devils have been dominant against the Warriors, racking up an impressive 4-0 record. Their first matchup was in 2019 at the Martone-Mejail Field in North Andover, MA.
- The CCSU women's soccer team posted a 6-0-1 record in conference play and has their sights set on securing a spot in the semi-finals of the tournament.
The Blue Devils will be back at home on Sunday to face Le Moyne. The game will take place at 2:00 pm at the CCSU Soccer Field and we will be honoring the Seniors for Senior Day starting at 1:30.