Central Mounts Late Comeback vs Howard to Win 2-1
The Central Connecticut women's soccer team stands alone in first place after beating the Howard University Bison with goals scored by Giavanna Inzerillo and Aoife Horgan.
GAME INFORMATION | BOX SCORE
Score: CCSU 2, Howard 1
Records: CCSU 6-4-1 (4-0 NEC); Howard 8-3-1 (3-1 NEC)
Location: CCSU Soccer Field | New Britain, CT
- Inzerillo had an opportunity to score on a breakaway six minutes into the match, but a deflection by a Bison defender kept the Blue Devils from striking first.
- Central Connecticut trailed 1-0 after the Bisons leading goal scorer Melea Earley sent a shot in off a steal and pass from her teammate Marli Berry.
- The Blue Devils tied things up when Kiley Yepez sent a cross into the box that set up Giavanna Inzerillo who scored her conference-leading 11th goal of the season.
- Aoife Horgan scored the game-winner off a shot from Gia Edwards that looked to break the plane, but the referee did not credit the score until Horgan finally sent it into the back of the net.
- With 15 seconds left in the game, the Bison were awarded a corner kick that led to a header that nearly got past senior goalkeeper Caitlin Murphy to tie the game with 12 seconds left.
Numbers to know:
5- Giavanna Inzerillo is now tied for fifth all-time in single-season goals scored (11).
4- Central is now on a four-game winning streak, is 4-0 in conference play, and stands alone in first place in the Northeast Conference.
- Both teams were 3-0 in conference play coming into the match, playing for a potential home-field advantage in the postseason.
- The Blue Devils snapped a seven-game winning streak for the Bison who came in outscoring their opponents 22 to 1 in the last seven games.
- The "Cardiac Kids" of CCSU have scored seven goals after the 60-minute mark during this four-game win streak.
The Blue Devils travel to Delaware St., on Sunday, October 1st, at 2:00PM.