The Central Connecticut men's basketball took down Dartmouth, 59-50, on Friday night at Detrick Gymnasium in New Britain, CT. CCSU used a balanced team effort on both ends of the floor to outscore the Big Green by 12 points in the second half to earn the first win of the season.
Nigel Scantlebury had his first career double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds, while Kellen Amos and Jay Rodgers each added 11 points. Abdul Momoh chipped in eight points and 10 rebounds. CCSU shot 22-of-64 (.344) from the field overall, and went 4-of-18 (.222) from three-point range. CCSU went 11-of-16 (.688) at the foul line.
Cade Haskins led Dartmouth with 12 points. The Big Green shot 19-of-62 (.306) overall from the field and 7-of-34 (.206) from three-point range. Dartmouth was 5-of-6 (.933) at the foul line.
The Blue Devils travel to Fordham on Sunday.
Score: CCSU 59, Dartmouth 50
Records: CCSU (1-9), Dartmouth (4-7)
Location: Detrick Gymnasium | New Britain, CT
- The teams started slowly on the offensive end, combining to go scoreless for over six minutes as Dartmouth led 6-4 midway through the opening period. The Blue Devils' defense would limit the Big Green to just one field goal during a nearly 14-minute stretch, while taking their first lead of the game following a Kellen Amos putback dunk to make it 12-10.
- Jay Rodgers hit a three-pointer to make it 20-12 with 4:25 to go in the half, but that was the Blue Devils' last field goal of the period. A dunk by Dusan Neskovic on the next trip for Dartmouth opened a 13-2 run to close the half. The Big Green scored the last eight points of the half and a three-pointer by Haskins made it 25-22 at the break.
- A Dartmouth basket to open the second half extended its run to 10 straight points before CCSU peeled off a 9-0 run to go up 31-27 with 16:52 to play. Andre Snoddy opened the run with a three-pointer, while Amos would score back-to-back baskets to close the spurt, including an emphatic alleyoop dunk to give Central a four-point lead. The Blue Devils' defense held Dartmouth scoreless for nearly four minutes while taking the lead back.
- CCSU ould fall behind, 40-39, with 9:38 to play but would outscore Dartmouth, 14-3, over the following five minutes to take the lead for good. A three-pointer by Davonte Sweatman made it 47-43 and kicked off a run of nine unanswered points to put CCSU in control. Scantlebury would chip in four points during the spurt, including a steal that finished with a three-point play to make it 53-43 with 4:11 remaining. Central would not allow Dartmouth to get closer than seven points the rest of the way.
"We got the monkey off our back, this was a good win," said head coach Patrick Sellers. "I told them to enjoy this one, but we've got to come back tomorrow and prepare for Fordham."
NUMBER TO KNOW
8 – CCSU committed just eight turnovers, matching a season-low.
- Dartmouth leads the all-time series, 5-3.
- Scantlebury matched a personal-best with 10 rebounds. He added three assists and just one turnover.
- Rodgers scored a career-high, while sliding into the starting lineup in place of Joe Ostrowsky.
- Tre Breland played a season-high 19 minutes and added five points, two rebounds and a steal.
- The game was the sixth of the season for CCSU decided by eight points or fewer.
The Blue Devils travel to Fordham on Sunday for a 1:00 p.m. tipoff.