Volleyball had as good of a start to conference play as you could ask for on Friday, taking down the Merrimack Warriors in a 3-0 sweep.
FINAL SCORE CCSU 3 Merrimack 0
RECORDS CCSU (4-9, 1-0 NEC) Merrimack (0-15, 0-1 NEC)
- Isabelle Roufs and the Blue Devils ran away with things early in the first set. CCSU snapped off a 7-0 run to jump ahead 17-7 to start. The Warriors fought back with a few of their own, but Roufs kicked off a 6-0 run with a hard-hit kill set up by Tori Boulay.
- Roufs capped off the run with another kill past the defense. The Blue Devils took the first set 25-12.
- Freshman Nyjha Marcelin kept the energy going in set two. She pulled off a 3-0 lead all on her own to help CCSU start off 5-0.
- While the rookie cooked things up to start, senior Emma Henderson turned things up in the second, too. Henderson served five kills on a platter to the Warriors defense as the Blue Devils hit .440 as a team. CCSU took the second 25-14.
- The third set was much more contentious than the previous two. Merrimack jumped out to an early lead and did not relinquish it easily. The third set had 10 seperate ties in it, the last being at 16-16. The Blue Devils were able to edge ahead late and secure a sweep with a 25-21 win in the third.
NUMBERS TO KNOW
.378 The Blue Devils hit .378 as a team, its best mark yet this season. Their best before that was merely a game ago against Dartmouth (.262).
The Blue Devils play in another conference match tomorrow as they head to Bryant.