CCSU volleyball defeated Long Island University in an instant classic 3-1 win on Friday. Senior Emma Henderson recorded her 1,000th career kill in the final set of the match.
FINAL SCORE CCSU 3 LIU 1
RECORDS CCSU (7-11, 4-2 NEC) LIU (7-11, 4-2 NEC)
- The Blue Devils came to play in the first set. Of course, Henderson scored the first point for CCSU. After that, two straight kills from Isabelle Roufs helped CCSU jump out to a 7-2 lead.
- LIU began climbing back in the middle of the set and only trailed by three. That is, until Nyjha Marcelin shook the gym with a hard-hit kill to put the Blue Devils back in the driver's seat.
- With the score still tight, head coach Linda Sagnelli called a timeout to get her team back into things. Out of the timeout, the Blue Devils went on a 6-1 run and did not look back from there. The Blue Devils took the first set with a block from Roufs.
- The Sharks opened up the second set with a fire, going on a 7-2 run to kick things off. The Blue Devils were unable to draw close in the second set and dropped it 25-15.
- After Henderson again opened up the third with a kill, Ashlyn Eisenga went on a tear serving. Marcelin recorded two blocks (one solo, one assisted by Roufs) and a kill during the 6-0 run early.
- Marcelin's fingerprints were all over the third for CCSU. She finished the set with five kills, two digs, a solo block and two block assists as CCSU took the set 25-15.
- The Blue Devils used three blocks to kick off the fourth and final set, opening things up with a 7-2 lead before you could blink.
- Henderson recorded the second kill in the fourth set, which put her one shy of 1,000. In dramatic fashion, she did not record her last kill of the game until the 23rd point, but CCSU already had the momentum going to win this one. They closed out the fourth on a 5-0 run to win the match.
- With her 1,000th kill tonight, Henderson becomes the 8th ever Blue Devil to join the 1,000 club. She is also eight digs away from having 1,000 digs.
- Henderson also recorded a double-double with 11 digs.
- Eisenga led the team with 18 digs while Marcelin paced the Blue Devils with 17 kills.
POST GAME QUOTES
HEAD COACH LINDA SAGNELLI: "I'm really proud on how the team worked so hard all week to address some weaknesses we had identified and today those weaknesses became our strength. I'm very proud of the cohesiveness of the team and the team's attitude of just attacking and being relentless. For that, they deserve the win and that's why we got the win."
EMMA HENDERSON: "I didn't even know I was [one away]. If I had known, I probably wouldn't have gotten 11 honestly," Henderson said after the match. "I'm happy my 5th year libero [Ashlyn Eisenga] gave me the assist. That made it the best."
The Blue Devils will play in another match on Saturday at home, hosting Saint Francis Brooklyn.