CCSU volleyball won its second game of the weekend on Saturday with a 3-0 sweep over Saint Francis Brooklyn. Two senior Blue Devils had milestones in the match as Ashlyn Eisenga moved to third all-time in digs for the Blue Devils (1,377) and Emma Henderson recorded her 1,000th dig.
FINAL SCORE CCSU 3 SFBK 0
RECORDS CCSU (8-11, 5-2 NEC) SFBK (5-16, 2-5 NEC)
- The two teams played things tight to start the match. Two block assists from Roufs set the Blue Devils up with an early 6-3 lead over the Terriers, but SFBK quickly stormed back to come within one.
- Another block assist and kill from Roufs helped the Blue Devils seperate themselves with a 12-6 lead.
- An ace from Rachel Picha and a Henderson kill put the Blue Devils a point away from taking the set, but the Terriers rallied with a four point swing to bring things within five.
- After taking a timeout, Henderson iced the set with a kill.
- The Blue Devils took advantage of some SFBK errors early in the second to jump out to a 6-1 lead, but the Terriers would not let them pull away afterwards.
- After trailing, SFBK tied things up at 12, 13 and 14 to stay in it, and kept things close after as well. A CCSU service error late helped them get to 19-21, but a SFBK service error and bad set put the Blue Devils at set point. Nyjha Marcelin ended the second with a kill, her fifth of the set.
- The third set was a historic one for CCSU. Eisenga and Henderson each reached their aforementioned milestones before either team broke double digits, but the Terriers were looking to play spoiler.
- The two teams traded points back and forth, tying seven seperate times all the way up to 10. An ace from Henderson gave the Blue Devils the edge, and three straight attack errors from SFBK gave CCSU a more comfortable lead.
- Henderson had two blocks late (one solo, one assisted on by Nicole Kraemer) and Marcelin dialed up two hard-hit kills to shut the door on any chance of a comeback for the Terriers.
- Henderson is the first Blue Devil with 1,000 kills and 1,000 digs since Emily Cochran (2009-2012).
- Four Blue Devils had double digit digs in the contest. Eisenga led the team with 16, while Boulay, Henderson and Picha each contributed 12 digs.
- Marcelin led the team with 15 kills, while Henderson and Roufs each contributed three total blocks.
The Blue Devils will host another home game next Friday as they take on Sacred Heart for the second time this season.