Volleyball took care of business on its home court Saturday, taking down Saint Francis U in a 3-1 match. The Blue Devils are now 3-1 against fellow Northeast Conference opponents.
FINAL SCORE CCSU 3 SFU 1
RECORDS CCSU (6-10, 3-1 NEC) SFU (7-9, 3-1 NEC)
- The early goings of the first set were a back-and-forth afair. SFU was able to jump ahead to a 9-7 lead, but a block from Emma Henderson sparked a 5-0 CCSU run that put the Blue Devils up 12-9.
- SFU kept things close, but three straight kills and a Red Flash attack error gave CCSU the set, 25-18. The Blue Devils hit a game-high .400 in the first.
- Both teams paced themselves again to start the second. SFU had an 11-10 lead early, but gave up four assists that helped the Blue Devils push ahead.
- The Blue Devils had set point at 24-22, but SFU scored three straight to get back into things. A kill from Nyjha Marcelin and some SFU errors gave CCSU the set.
- The Red Flash turned things up to start the third set, starting off with a 5-1 run.
- CCSU was unable to make a come back in the third as SFU led by as much as 11.
- The fourth was a highly contentious set. CCSU led early, but the Red Flash were able to rattle off an 8-0 run to go up 20-17.
- Marcelin and Henderson, the Blue Devils' leaders on offense in this one, led a Blue Devil rally on an 8-2 run, sealing the set and victory.
- Henderson posted her sixth double-double of the season on Saturday, finishing with 10 kills and 13 digs.
- Nyjha Marcelin posted a career-high 20 kills in the win.
- Ashlyn Eisenga paced the defense with 16 digs.
The Blue Devils will make the short trip to Sacred Heart on October 8 to face the Pioneers.