The Central Connecticut men's soccer team fell at Brown, 1-0, on Wednesday night in Providence, RI. The Bears scored the game-winner with under 10 minutes to play and the Blue Devils were unable to capitalize on late chances to tie.
Score: Brown 1, CCSU 0
Records: CCSU (2-5), Brown (3-2)
Location: Stevenson-Pincince Field (Providence, RI)
- The game was scoreless at halftime with the possession nearly even, 52-48 in favor of Brown. Joey Tata had a pair of shots for the Blue Devils, but failed to find the goal.
- The game stayed scoreless until late in the second half. With just under 15 minutes to play Eric Kanebog broke free down the right wing and put a shot on frame, but Henrik Weiper punched it over the bar to keep it tied.
- The Bears found the winning goal with 8:53 remaining on a corner kick. Kyle Gee took the corner and tucked an in-swinging shot inside the far post to make it 1-0.
- Central would have a pair of chances to tie in the final five minutes, but were unable to find the equalizer.
NUMBER TO KNOW
50 - In an evenly matched game, both teams had 50% possession. CCSU had 54% of their possession in their attacking half, but were unable to even the score.
- Mick Sipples finished with three saves in the game.
- Sean Gannon and Joey Tata each had two shots for CCSU, while Kanebog's shot was the only Blue Devils chance on target.
- Brown had a narrow 11-7 edge in shots, while Central had a 4-3 edge in corner kicks.
The Blue Devils open Northeast Conference play at LIU on Sunday at 1:00 p.m.
All CCSU home games and Northeast Conference games are available to watch online, for free, at NECFrontRow.com.