The Central Connecticut men's soccer team posted its second straight shutout, downing St. Bonaventure, 1-0, on Monday at CCSU Soccer Field. The Blue Devils scored the only goal of the game at the 23:10 mark.
Score: CCSU 1, St. Bonaventure 0
Records: CCSU (2-0), St. Bonaventure (0-2)
Location: CCSU Soccer Field (New Britain, CT)
- The Blue Devils scored the only goal of the game in the 24th minute when St. Bonaventure gave the ball away due to pressure by the Central forwards. Taein Ka would pick up the turnover and slip his shot by the goalkeeper to make it 1-0.
- Mick Sipples posted his second straight shutout and made his biggest save of the game with just over 19 minutes to play. SBU's David Cubillos had a shot from the right side, tipped over the crossbar by Sipples to maintain CCSU's 1-0 lead.
NUMBER TO KNOW
205:51 - The Blue Devils's defense has not allowed a goal since the 2021 finale when Sacred Heart scored at the 84:09 mark in a 1-1 tie.
- CCSU posted its second straight shutout. Central had not had consecutive shutouts since September 16 and 21, 2014, in a pair of 1-0 wins.
- The Blue Devils have opened the season with back-to-back wins for the first time since 2009.
- Sipples made three stops, all in the second half.
- Birk Martinsen had a team-high four shots in the game for Central.
- Central held a 13-7 advantage in shots and 4-3 in corner kicks.
The Blue Devils travel to Harvard on Saturday for a 3:00 p.m. contest.
All CCSU home games and Northeast Conference games are available to watch online, for free, at NECFrontRow.com.