Men's Soccer Falls At Home To UMass
Blue Devils tallied twice on their home pitch
The Central Connecticut men's soccer team dropped fell 4-2 to visiting University of Massachusetts Wednesday evening in New Britain, CT. The Blue Devils held possession for more than half of the contest, but the Minutemen were advantageous on the offensive end of the field.
Score: UMass 4, CCSU 2
Records: CCSU (2-2), UMass (2-0-1)
Location: CCSU Soccer Field (New Britain, CT)
COACH KELLY SAYS
"It's always going to be tough when you spot two goals to a quality opponent at the start of the match. But our guys really showed some character by not giving up, they kept fighting, and we clawed our way back into the game. There's plenty of lessons to be learned from this game, and we'll need to mkae sure that we apply those down the road."
- UMass tallied twice in 31 seconds in the fourth minute, as Alec Hughes netted a PK and an unassisted goal for the 2-0 advantage
- Central earned a goal back on a PK with :03 left after a handball in the box, to make the score 3-1 at the intermission
- With the score 4-1, Aidan Kelly was sent off and Central took advantage 12 seconds later on a Kyle HaleHale tally
NUMBER TO KNOW
57% - Central possessed the ball for 57 percent of the game Wednesday night
- Mick Sipples made a pair of saves for Central
- The game saw seven cards issued, five to UMass and two to CCSU
- Both teams tallied a PK, Umass 4:12 into the contest and Central with three ticks left in the first-half
The Blue Devils travel to Quinnipiac on Saturday for a 2:00 pm match, before returning home next Wednesday for a 6:00 pm match with Rider.
All CCSU home games and Northeast Conference games are available to watch online, for free, at NECFrontRow.com.