Women's soccer was defeated in the first round of the Women's College Cup on Saturday, losing to the Georgetown Hoyas 0-6. The Blue Devils played a close first half with Georgetown and went into the second tied 0-0, but the Hoyas were able to pull away in the second half with an outburst of scores.
RECORDS CCSU (13-6, 8-2 NEC) Georgetown (14-1-6, 7-1-2 Big East)
LOCATION Shaw Field | Washington, D.C.
- The Blue Devils were able to shut down a number of chances for the Hoyas early. To start the match, Georgetown was awarded four straight corner kicks and sent three shots in.
- Roma McLaughlin fought to get momentum back for CCSU with a great chance on the net. The reigning NEC Midfielder of the Year sent a rocket towards the goal that was corralled by the Hoyas' keeper.
- McLaughlin's shot was the only one the Blue Devils were able to record in the first, but the defense kept them alive with a 0-0 tie heading into the second half.
- The Hoyas once again were awarded a multitude of corner kicks to start the second half, this time with five in a row.
- After shutting down all of the Hoyas' chances through the first half and the start of the second, Georgetown broke through ten minutes into the second half.
- Georgetown continued to attack, scoring the next goal six minutes after, then another seven minutes after that and one again eight minutes after that. Georgetown got another one to roll in just a minute after the previous goal. In just over 22 minutes, the Hoyas had went from a 0-0 tie to a 5-0 lead.
- McLaughlin and the Blue Devils got one more shot off against the Hoyas, but Georgetown scored once more to go up 6-0, halting any shot of a comeback in the final ten minutes of regulation.
- The Blue Devils were outshot 18-9 in the match.
- McLaughlin (2) and Kristina Kelly (1) led CCSU in shots.
- Julia Leas had two of Georgetown's six goals. She also recorded an assist.