Women's soccer dropped its opening match of the season Saturday at UConn. A late goal from the Huskies sealed a 2-1 victory. Junior captain Roma McLaughlin scored the lone goal for CCSU.
Score: Central Connecticut 1, University of Connecticut 2
Records: CCSU (0-1, 0-0 NEC), UConn (1-0, 0-0 BEC)
Location: Joseph J. Morrone Stadium | Storrs, CT
- McLaughlin struck first for the Blue Devils with a goal snuck past UConn goalkeeper Kaitlyn Mahoney at the 37 minute point. She was assisted on the goal by seniors Erica Bardes and Tess Atkinson.
- UConn answered back just five minutes later with a score from Duda Santin.
- After a stalemate for much of the second half, UConn broke the tie with just over 10 minutes left of regulation. Jada Konte scored the would-be game winner for the Huskies.
- The Blue Devils were outshot 18-7 through the game, but were only bested by two on shots on goal (7-5).
- Freshman Kelly Brady led the Blue Devils with two shots on the day.
- Senior Amanda McQuillan led the game with five saves.
The Blue Devils will look to get back in the win column on Thursday, August 26 against the University of Albany. This will be the first home match of the season for CCSU.