CCSU women's soccer scored three second half goals on its way to a 3-1 win over the Howard Bison on Thursday. The win brings the Blue Devils up to 5-2 against Northeast Conference competition this season.
FINAL SCORE CCSU 3 Howard 1
RECORDS CCSU (8-4-0, 5-2-0 NEC) Howard (4-5-1, 3-3-1 NEC)
- The Blue Devils were aggressive on offense from the jump, logging 10 shots in the first half against the Bison.
- There were a number of great looks for CCSU in the opening minutes, including a penalty kick that was saved by the Bison's keeper and an open look at the net that was sent just wide.
- Gia Edwards sent a deep shot at the net in the final minutes of the first half that rang off the crossbar, missing out on a goal by inches.
- After a scoreless first half, the Bison started off the second half with an almost instant score. Howard was able to squeeze one by Amanda McQuillan less than two minutes into the second.
- 12 minutes after Howard got on the board, Giavanna Inzerillo and the Blue Devils were victims of another crossbar. This one had a silver lining in it in the form of a goal. CC Rosario took the rebound off the bar and sent it right back in the back of the net.
- Roma McLaughlin was awarded a penalty kick six minutes after Rosario's goal, which she sent streaking to the bottom right corner of the net.
- The Blue Devils weren't finished scoring yet, however. Erica Bardes sent a perfectly placed cross to Abbey Chase that Chase headed into the back left pocket.
- McLaughlin's goal is her fifth this season. She leads the Blue Devils with this total and also leads the team with 12 points.
- The Blue Devils have scored three goals in a half twice this season before today. Both of those times occured in the first half.
- McQuillan leads the NEC in goals against average with a 1.111 average.
Women's soccer will be looking to keep things rolling at home this Sunday when they host St. Francis Brooklyn.