The Central Connecticut baseball team downed Stony Brook, 5-3, on Saturday at Joe Nathan Field. Senior Brandon Fox tossed eight innings of one-run ball as the Blue Devils built a four-run lead. Junior Sam Loda had a pair of extra-base hits and drove in two runs for CCSU. Central improves to 3-7 on the year, while Stony Brook slips to 3-9.
The Blue Devils and Seawolves wrap up the three-game series on Sunday at 1:00 p.m.
GAME ONE INFORMATION
Score: Central Connecticut 2, Stony Brook 3
Records: CCSU (3-7), Stony Brook (3-9)
Location: Joe Nathan Field | Stony Brook, NY
Pitching Record: W: Fox (1-2)| L: Turcotte (0-2) | Sv: Sabia (1)
- Central opened the scoring with a three-run fourth inning. Seniors Dave Matthews and Buddy Dewaine led off the inning with consecutive singles. Junior Jay Devito singled to score Matthews and put runners on the corners. CCSU loaded the bases with no outs and senior Chris Kanios knocked in the second run on a fielders choice and junior Matt Bertochi plated another on a sacrifice to make it 3-0.
- Stony Brook scored in the bottom of the fourth after an error and a single put runners on the corners. A groundout by Brad Hipsley brought in a run to make it 3-1.
- Fox would retire 11 straight Seawolves before a pair of singles in the seventh, but he would leave them stranded. He gave up a hit in the eighth before giving way to the bullpen for the ninth inning.
- CCSU added two insurance runs in the eighth. Matthews and Dewaine walked and were hit by a pitch to begin the inning. Following a sacrifice, Loda ripped a two-run triple to make it 5-1.
- The Seawolves scored two in the ninth on a two-run double by Chris Hamilton to make it 5-3, but junior Dylan Sabia came on to get the final out and close the win.
- Stony Brook leads the all-time series, 10-6.
- Central ended a six-game losing streak with the win.
- Fox tossed 8.0 innings, allowing one unearned run on six hits. He struck out six and walked none.
- Devito and Loda each recorded two hits. Loda had two RBIs, while Devito, Kanios and Bertochi added one.
- Matthews and Dewaine each had a hit and two runs scored.
The Blue Devils and Seawolves conclude the series on Sunday at 1:00 p.m.