The Central Connecticut baseball team fell to Pittsburgh, 7-5, on Friday at Sanford Memorial Stadium in the team's opening game at the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational. Senior Buddy Dewaine and junior Peyton Stephens each hit homeruns for the Blue Devils, but a four-run seventh inning by the Panthers would provide the difference in the game. CCSU is 2-2 on the year, while Pitt improves to 8-1.
Score: Central Connecticut 5, Pittsburgh 7
Records: CCSU (2-2), Pitt (8-1)
Location:Sanford Memorial Stadium | Sanford, FL
Pitching Record: W - Powell (2-0) | L: Carraturo (0-1)
- Pitt got on the scoreboard with a two-out, two-run homerun in the bottom of the fourth inning. Bryce Hulette hit one over the fence in right field to make it 2-0.
- The Blue Devils came back in the top of the fifth to take a lead. Senior Dave Matthews led off by reaching on an error and senior Buddy Dewaine followed with his first homerun of the season to tie the game, 2-2. Junior Peyton Stephens would hit his first homer of the year with a solo shot with one out to make it 3-2.
- The Panthers tied the game in the bottom of the sixth. Hulett would single to centerfield with two outs and drive in his third run of the day.
- CCSU regained the lead with two runs in the seventh. A sacrifice fly by senior Chris Kanios and a single by junior Matt Bertochi each drove in a run to make it 5-3.
- Pitt came back with four runs in the bottom of the seventh to take the lead. A bases-loaded balk brought in the first win and Ron Washington followed with a three-run homerun to make it 7-5.
- CCSU was playing Pitt for the first time in program history.
- Dewaine finished 2-for-4 with two RBIs. Dewaine hit his fourth career homerun.
- Stephens went 1-for-3 and scored two runs. The homerun was Stephens' ninth of his career.
- Bertochi and juniors Jake Siracusa and TT Bowens each collected a hit. Siracusa, along with senior Dave Matthews, scored a run.
- Senior Andrew Braun started for Central and would throw 5.2 innings. He allowed three runs on four hits, but struck out 11 while walking four.
- Freshman Jack Carraturo took the loss as he was charged with four runs in .2 innings.
- Junior Dylan Sabia made his first appearance and struck out three in 1.2 shutout innings.
- Pitt collected eight hits as a team. Hulett and Nico Popa each had two hits.
- Grant Powell tossed 2.2 shutout innings for the win. he had three strikeouts. Billy Corcoran started and allowed five runs, four earned, in 6.1 innings. He allowed five hits and struck out nine.
The Blue Devils will play Lehigh on Saturday at 11 a.m. in the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational.