The Central Connecticut baseball team won its season-opener, 2-0, at Bethune-Cookman on Friday night at Jackie Robinson Ballpark. Senior Andrew Braun allowed just one hit over 6.0 innings and the Blue Devilis got an RBI single by senior Chandler Debrosse. CCSU is 1-0 on the year, while Bethune-Cookman is now 3-2.
Score: Central Connecticut 2, Bethune-Cookman 0
Records: CCSU (1-0), B-CU (3-2)
Location:Jackie Robinson Ballpark | Daytona Beach, FL
Pitching Record: W - Braun (1-0) | L: Rogers (0-1) | S: Benton (1)
- Central opened the scoring in the third inning after senior Chris Kanios led off with a walk and moved to second on a sacrifice. He would steal third with two outs and a throwing error on the play brough him across home to make it 1-0.
- CCSU doubled its lead in the fifth after junior Jake Siracusa led off with a walk and stole second. With two outs, Debrosse singled to drive in Siracusa to make it 2-0.
- Braun did not allow a runner until Bethune-Cookman got a one-out double in the fifth.
- Sophomore Dylan Benton allowed just two hits in 3.0 innings of work. He worked around a one-out single in the ninth to record his first career save.
- Braun struck out seven and did not allow a walk in his first start.
- Kanios had CCSU's only extra-base hit of the game. Junior Sam Loda hada single.
- Siracusa reached base twice in the game, drawing two walks.
- Benton allowed two hits in 3.0 innings, while striking out three.
The teams resume the series on Saturday night at 6:00 p.m.