The Central Connecticut baseball team tossed its second shutout of the young season, picking up a 4-0 win at Bethune-Cookman on Sunday in Jackie Robinson Ballpark. Freshman Anthony Mozzicato tossed 7.0 shutout innings in his first career start, while juniors Sam Loda and TT Bowens each had an RBI and senior Chandler Debrosse tripled in the win. CCSU is 2-1 on the year, while Bethune-Cookman is now 4-3.
Score: Central Connecticut 4, Bethune-Cookman 0
Records: CCSU (2-1), B-CU (4-3)
Location:Jackie Robinson Ballpark | Daytona Beach, FL
Pitching Record: W - Mozzicato (1-0) | L: Valiente (0-1)
- Debrosse opened the game with a leadoff triple and came home on a sacrifice by Loda on the next at-bat to make it 1-0 in the first.
- Senior Dave Matthews doubled the lead in the fourth. He drew a one-out walk and then came all the way around to score on a series of wild pitches to make it 2-0.
- The Blue Devils tacked on two runs in the fifth. Senior Chris Kanios scored on an error to make it 3-0 and Bowens drew a bases loaded walk to make it 4-0.
- Mozzicato allowed just two hits on the day - a single in the first and another in the seventh. He did not walk anyone and struck out two in his first start.
- Sophomore Tim Buchek and freshman Dominic Niman each tossed a shutout inning in relief, allowing one hit each.
- In the three-game series, Central starting pitchers allowed just one run on seven hits in 19.0 innings. The Blue Devils starting pitchers also posted 11 strikeouts against just two walks.
- The CCSU bullpen did not allow a run or walk in 7.0 innings of work while striking out six and scattering four hits.
- Debrosse and junior Jake Siracusa each collected two hits to lead CCSU on the weekend, while Kanios scored two runs. Kanios, Siracusa and senior Buddy Dewaine each collected a stolen base.
The Blue Devils play Pittsburgh in the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational on Friday, Feb. 28.