The Central Connecticut women's soccer team defeated Siena, 2-0, on Thursday night during their home opener at the CCSU Soccer Field.
Score: CCSU 2, Siena 0
Records: CCSU (1-0, 0-0 NEC), Siena (0-1, 0-0 MAAC)
Location: CCSU Soccer Field (New Britain, CT)
- Kristina Kelly drew a foul in the box and Roma McLaughlin converted the ensuing penalty kick in the 12th minute for the 1-0 lead.
- In the opening minute of the second half Gia Inzerillo crossed the ball into the box and Aoife Horgan flicked the ball to Kristina Kelly who put the ball in the back of the net.
NUMBER TO KNOW
5 - This was the Blue Devils 5th consecutive home opening victory.
"We're delighted to start the season off with a win tonight. I thought Siena had the better of the early exchanges and it took us a little while to settle into our rhythm. The first goal helped and then it was a bonus to score so early in the second half. Overall I am very pleased especially with our second half performance," said CCSU head coach Mick D'Arcy
- Central only allowed two shots on goal, both of which were stopped by Caitlin Murphy.
- McLaughlin scored her 12th career game winning goal.
- The Blue Devils outshot the Saints 17-10.
- Central dominated possession, especially in the second half where they earned six of their seven corner kicks.
The Blue Devils will be taking the field again on Sunday at home to face Seton Hall at 6:00 p.m.
All CCSU home games and Northeast Conference games are available to watch online, for free, at NECFrontRow.com.