The Central Connecticut women's lacrosse team fell to UMass Lowell, 21-11, in its home opener on Sunday afternoon. The Blue Devils (0-2) trailed by two goals at halftime, but the River Hawks (1-1) scored the first seven goals after halftime.
Central begins Northeast Conference play at home against Wagner on Saturday, March 6, at 1 p.m.
Score: Central Connecticut 11, UMass Lowell 22
Records: CCSU (0-2), UML (1-1)
Location: Arute Field | New Britain, CT
- Sinton scored back-to-back goals to tie the game at 2-2 at 22:09 in the first half.
- After the River Hawks scored four straight goals, CCSU responded with three in a row to get within a goal. Fino scored a pair of free position goals on each side of a goal by Coogan to make it 6-5 at 11:02.
- Fino and junior Jessica Denike scored consecutive goals to get CCSU within 9-8 at the 2:05 mark of the first half. UML would score one goal just before halftime to make it 10-8 and followed with the first seven goals of the second half to take a insurmountable lead.
- Sinton would score Central's first goal with 13:09 remaining to end the UML run. She scored twice in the half, while Coogan added another to round out CCSU's scoring.
NUMBER TO KNOW
8 - After CCSU got within a goal late in the first half, UML scored eight unanswered goals.
- Senior Cooper Cowdin made 10 saves in goal for the Blue Devils.
- Central outscored UML, 5-1, in free position goals.
- Freshman Katelyn Parker had a team-high five groundballs and two caused turnovers for CCSU.
- Coogan led CCSU with five draw controls.
The Blue Devils host Wagner on March 6 at 1:00 p.m.