The Central Connecticut football team fell 27-20 to visiting Brown University Saturday afternoon on Arute Field.
The Blue Devils drove to the Brown three in the closing minute, but a fourth-down pass play came up short of the first down marker, securing the Bears victory.
Nasir Smith collected a career-best 195 all-purpose yards on the afternoon.
The Blue Devils are off this week, before hosting Duquesne on October 22.
Score: Brown 27, CCSU 20
Records: CCSU (0-6; 0-2 NEC); Brown (2-2; 0-1 Ivy)
Location: Arute Field | New Britain, CT
- Brown found the end zone midway in the first quarter when Hayes Sutton hauled in a 60-yard touchdown pass from Jake Willcox
- The Blue Devils answered on the next drive when Shon Mitchell connected with Erik Surratt in the end zone
- The Bears scored early in the second quarter, on a Allen Smith three-yard run for a 14-6 advantage and extended the lead to 21-6 with 10:43 to play in the first-half on a Willcox to Samuel Baddoo TD reception
- Nasir Smith ripped off an 85-yard TD run, up the middle, to close the deficit to 21-13 to round out the first-half scoring
- Christopher Maron provided all of the Brown points in the second half, with a 37 and 48-yard field goals, pushing the advantage to 27-13 with 12:36
- Smith caught a Mitchell pass at the 16 and followed his blockers in for a score with 7:12 to play to close within a possession, 27-20
BY THE NUMBERS
- Smith carried 16 times for a career-best 145 yards, including an 85-yard touchdown run
- Kyren Petteway surpassed his career-high catch total for the second straight week, hauling in eight for 32 yards
- CCSU collected 401 yards of total offense on the afternoon, with 241 coming in the air
- Shon Mitchell completed 22 passes with two touchdowns
- Chizi Umunakwe finished with 13 tackles, including 2.0 TFL, for his fourth double-digit game of the year
- CCSU finished with 8.0 TFL, a forced fumble, four pass breakups and an interception, as well as a sack by Shayne Manson
- Kimal Clark recorded his first career interception, gathering in a pass deflected by Luquay Washington in the third quarter
NUMBER TO KNOW
7 – The number of 100+ all-purpose yards games by Smith in his career as a Blue Devil