The Central Connecticut baseball team claimed its second Northeast Conference series sweep this season with a 6-3 win at Wagner on Sunday at FirstEnergy Park. The Blue Devils opened a 3-0 win and got a pair of homeruns in the win.
GAME ONE INFORMATION
Score: CCSU 6, Wagner 3
Records: CCSU (18-9, 15-6 NEC), WAG (8-19, 5-16 NEC)
Location: FirstEnergy Park | Lakewood, NJ
Pitching Record: W: Mozzicato (1-1) | L: LaPointe (1-1) | Sv: Neuman (7)
- The Blue Devils opened the scoring with a three-run second inning. Seniors Buddy DeWaine and Dave Matthews would single to put runners on the corners. After a walk loaded the bases, freshman Jeff Nicol would single to drive in two runs. Junior Matt Bertochi followed with the fourth hit of the inning to plate a run and make it 3-0.
- After Wagner got a run in the bottom of the second, freshman Noah Martinez led off the third with a solo homerun to right field to make it 4-1.
- The teams traded runs in the sixth. Martinez would hit a sac fly in the top of the inning and the Seahawks got an RBI single in the bottom of the inning to make it 5-2.
- Wagner's Griffin Schneider drove in his second run of the game in the bottom of the eighth to make it 5-3.
- The Blue Devils closed out the scoring with a solo homerun from Matthews with one out in the ninth. His homer was hit deep to straightaway centerfield to make it 6-3.
NUMBER TO KNOW
12 - CCSU collected 12 hits in the game, its most in the three-game series. The Blue Devils have collected 10 or more hits in a game 10 times this season.
- Freshman Anthony Mozzicato started and got the win. He went 5.0 innings and allowed two runs, while ringing up five strikeouts.
- Freshman Jake Neuman pitched a scoreless ninth to get his seventh save. He had one strikeout and has seven straight scoreless outings.
- Dewaine, Matthews, Bertochi and Nicol each had two hits in the game.
- Martinez and Nicol each drove in two runs, while Matthews scored two runs.
- The Blue Devils have won nine straight against the Seahawks, last dropping a 4-2 contest on March 30, 2019, in New Britain.
CCSU opens a three-game series at Sacred Heart beginning on Friday at 3:00 p.m.