The Central Connecticut baseball team won its third straight Northeast Conference with a 5-1 win over Mount St. Mary's on Friday at CCSU Baseball Field. Senior Brandon Fox tossed 7.0 strong innings and junior Jay Devito knocked in a pair of runs on three hits in the win.
GAME ONE INFORMATION
Score: CCSU 5, Mount St. Mary's 1
Records: CCSU (9-5, 6-2 NEC), MSM (5-16, 1-7 NEC)
Location: CCSU Baseball Field | New Britain, CT
Pitching Record: W: Fox (2-2) | L: Kennedy (1-3) | Sv: SNeuman (3)
- Mount St. Mary's strung together three straight singles with one out in the fourth to load the bases with one out. A ground out by Tyler Long brought home a run to make it 1-0. Following a walk to load the bases with two outs, Fox got a ground out to work out of the jam.
- CCSU would take the lead with a three-run fifth. Freshman Michael Torniero singled and stole second to lead off. Freshman Elliot Good would drive him home with a one-out double to make it 1-1. After moving to third, Good would score on a single by Devito to make it 2-1. Freshman Noah Martinez followed with a triple to score Devito and make it 3-1.
- Central tacked on a pair of insurance runs in the eighth inning. Torneiro led off with a walk and moved to second on a balk. He would go to third on a single by Good before scoring on a fielder's choice by sophomore Dan Covino. A two-out single by Devito brought home Covino to make it 5-1.
NUMBER TO KNOW
3 - Central has won each of the season's first three Northeast Conference series'.
- Fox scattered six hits across 7.0 innings to improve to 2-2 on the year. He struck out five and walked just one.
- Freshman Jake Neuman got his third save, allowing one hit and one walk, while striking out three in 2.0 innings.
- Devito went 3-for-3 with two RBIs to bump his batting average to a team-leading .364.
- Torniero went 1-for-3 with two runs. In six NEC games he is hitt 7-for-12 (.583)
- Good collected his first career multi-hit game, going 2-for-3.
The teams close out the series with a 1:00 p.m. start on Saturday.