The Central Connecticut men's indoor track and field team will take part in the 2017 Northeast Conference Indoor Championships on Friday-Saturday, Feb. 17-18, at the Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex in Staten Island, NY. The Blue Devils were hailed the 2016 NEC Runner-Up last season, while taking home two individual gold medals.
Highlights and Interviews | From the 2017 NEC Women's Indoor Track & Field Championship will be posted after the races on NEC Front Row.
- The Blue Devils finished in second place (115) behind the three-time defending champion LIU Brooklyn (158) squad.
- CCSU brought home its last championship back in 2011 accumulating 114 total points beating out Sacred Heart in second place with 109 points.
- Central's distance medley relay team was the NEC runner-up last year, finishing in 10:21.13.
- Sophomore Edwin Alston took was the 2016 silver medalist in the 60 meter hurdles, clocking in at 8.11.
2017 Regular Season Notes
- The DMR team ran a school record-breaking time of 9:46.12 at the Boston U. David Hemery Invite last week, making them the current fastest quartet of runners in the league.
- Four Blue Devils hold first place rankings heading into this season's championships on Friday and Saturday.
- Juniors Austin Trainor and Sam Borecki hold the top spot in the mile (4:09.63), and pole vault (4.65m), respectively.
- Sophomore Edwin Alston is the leagues 60 meter hurdles top gun after setting a new school record time of 7.95 at the Armory Track Invitational this year.
- Second year Blue Devil, Richard Grudzwick sits atop the 500 meter run standings (1:04.37), and ranks third in the 800 meter run (1:51.12).
- Veteran Tyler Raymond is spotted at third in the league in the 5,000 meter distance run with a 14:35.79 mark.